Wednesday, September 22, 2010

SpiderMan turns 4!


On his birthday, Parker woke up to red and blue streamers, balloons and Spiderman decorations throughout the house. Parker found a Spiderman costume on his chair at the kitchen table. (Since Autumn got to be a princess all day for her Princess Party, he informed us that he was going to be Spiderman all day for his Spiderman birthday. With Halloween soon approaching, it was easy to find a costume and now we are all set for Halloween as well.) Parker wore the costume all day. He went to his 4 year check up at the doctor and to Wal-Mart to get his cake and everyone that saw him smiled and pointed and most said, "Hi Spiderman!" That made him pretty happy.

Parker also wanted to have a surprise party. So when he asked about his party the day before his birthday, we told him we were just going to celebrate with our small family this time. After which, he told us, "I'm just sad right now." It was hard not to tell him that he really was going to have more family and some friends over for his birthday party, but we didn't. Parker knew that we were going to celebrate and have cake when Dad got home. Paul offered Parker (and Autumn) a trip to the park, while I made dinner. After they left, our party guests arrived (Kim, Jill and kids, Andrew, Bella, and Jack and Cayden and their families). We were all in place, silently waiting down in our family room, when the birthday boy returned. It was then that I realized, he might be a little scared. When I called to him, he came around the corner and we all yelled, "Surprise!" His eyes went wide and his face went white like a ghost. I thought that he might start crying and run away, but he just kept staring around the room. I think he was looking at each person and realizing that he knew each one. His friends, Jack and Cayden, then ran up to him giggling and it was all fun from then on. We ate pizza, attacked bad guys with our webs (silly string), had a pinata, ate cake and opened presents. Parker was genuinely happy to have everyone there and loved all of the activities. While I was dishing up cake, he said, "Mom, I love my surprise party, but why did you keep it a secret?" (As suspected, although he really wanted one, he didn't really understand what a surprise party was, but he sure does now.) We sure love our Parker boy!














































2 comments:

The Christensens said...

I loved seeing Spiderman ALL over town. I was laughing out loud!

stephanie said...

Wow! You guys throw the coolest parties! :) How far apart are Autumn's and Parker's birthdays?