Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Parker Boy

Well, I thought I would dedicate a post to our little boy, Parker. He is so much fun! I have been making notes about funny and cute things he has done lately, so I would remember them. I thought I would blog them, so they will be forever remembered in the blog book that I am making. (I started this before Christmas and I am finishing it after, hence some photos from Christmas intertwined.)


Parker has mastered his colors, shapes, numbers (1-13...a few in between..20), and alphabet. Letters are his favorite things these days. He wants to take a bath all of the time because he gets to play with his bath time letters. He also has a couple of puzzle letters that he plays with as if they were action figures. Ever since he started watching his Letter Factory video and learned all of the sounds that letters make, he has them chase each other around making their sounds. Or he just acts out the movie word for word.


He is very fun to talk to. He has a cute little voice that pronounces most words very precisely. He amazes me now, not only because he can pronounce words, but that he can use them correctly in different situations. When I sat him down to eat the other day, he told mehe was "excited!" Some of his favorite words are anymore and yesterday. If he doesn't want to do something, like go to bed, he will say, "Don't want to go to bed anymore." When he is telling you something that he did in the past, then it was yesterday. Sometimes he is right and it was yesterday, but sometimes it was actually 3 weeks ago.

He is so funny! He just started doing this while he was eating. And he can kep it up there while he eats!

He has his own little imagination. He loves for us to make up stories, so Paul and I are always making up random stories with his Fuzzy Bear, Corduroy and Curious George stuffed animals. As soon as you say The End, he says, "Make a Story again?" It is never ending. When I came to get him after his nap one day, he started telling me about a tiger coming down from a tree to eat Parker. Then he smiled and said, "No, it was a nice tiger." I guess he is starting to make up his own stories.


Parker seems to like any sport. He will spike a volleyball when you toss it to him, kick a soccer ball between your legs to make a goal, shoot a basketball and hit a baseball off of a pitch. But by far, his favorite sport is football. Not just any football, BYU Cougar football. I think he only missed one home game this year. He loves the whole atmosphere, from the band, to the fans and especially the game. By watching him, you would almost think that he knows exactly what is going on in the game. He can be heard cheering, 'another cougar, first down' (hand motion and all) and can singing the BYU fight song after a score. He chants right along with the fans when they are saying 'go go go' on a good play and 'Oh, come on' on a bad play.

When he is not AT a football game, he plays it at home. He puts on his 'receiving glove' and carries his BYU football. He starts in a three point stance and says 'Down, Set, Hike,' at which point gets up and runs as fast as he can to the other end of our house. The play usually ends with him throwing his football against the wall and getting tackled(laying down on the ground). Occasionally, he will shout out a 'First Down' or 'Touchdown!' If there is a touchdown, then we have to run the flags around the 'stadium' and sing the fight song. We got him his own little BYU flag for Christmas. If we are watching a football game on TV, then he copies exactly what they do. He waits in his 3 point stance for them to hike, then he runs around in front of the TV, if they throw the ball he throws the ball and if they get tackled, he gets 'tackled.' We have enjoyed having a little boy that is so into sports so far and hope that he enjoys them when he is older. We'll see


Parker is also so polite. I guess he has learned to say Thank You pretty well. It is an automated response, whenever I give him something that he wants or has asked for. The other night he was coughing in his sleep and I brought him his water. He took a sip, said, 'Thank you Mommy,' rolled over and went back to sleep.

Our sick boy!

Praying is also kind of cute now. Sometimes he is not in the mood to say prayers (especially when we are blessing the food and he is really hungry), but usually he will fold his arms and bow his head once the prayer has started. He likes to 'help' say prayers too. He pretty much tries to copy the person saying the prayer. He repeats a word from the sentences you say and then he ends with 'Jesus Christ, Amen.' And then he smiles very proudly. He even 'helped' with the prayer in Sacrament meeting today!

Parker is always so nice to Autumn! He always helps me take care of her and always tries to make her laugh.

It is so exciting that when I tell him that I love him, he will respond with, "I love you too Mommy," all on his own. I thought THAT was great until, the other day, we went to meet Paul at work. We sat down on a bench in the hallway in the RB, to wait for Paul to meet us. I was just sitting there with my arm around him and he said, "I love you Mommy." It wasn't his automated response to my words of affection (after all, I hadn't said anything). He just thought and said it all by himself. I love him too!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I think that is my favorite moment with kids - when they say I love you for the first time without being prompted!

He's a cutie.

Melissa said...

We love Parker boy, I am here listening to Parker sing his ABCs with Trevor. I might never get away.... This was a fun little update on all the fun that we are missing out on with him. He's the best!