Monday, May 31, 2010

A Job!

For those of you don't know...

Paul got offered a job just a few days after graduation. He would be working for a company in Las Vegas doing copyright work. Paul was relieved to have a job offer and excited about learning more about copyright work and the experience this job would give him. The job started the following Monday, just 5 days later. So, we started packing up some of our things, borrowed Paul's parents' truck and drove our family down to Vegas that Saturday. I was going to find a place to live and then go back to Provo with the kids to finish packing, while Paul started his job. His office was in a great location that would have made his commute next to nothing. We visited the ward on Sunday and met some great people, who even had us over for dinner that evening and were very helpful to give us information on where to look for housing and such. We were feeling like Vegas might just be a great place to settle with our little family for a while.

Paul went to work on Monday and I drove the kids around looking for housing. Just after noon, I got a text from Paul asking if we could meet him for lunch. So we did. He began to tell me of the events of the day. A coworker realized that Paul graduated from BYU Law and felt that he should tell Paul the direction the company was headed. In order for this small company to grow, they had big plans to enter into the Adult Entertainment Market. This means that the company would be doing copyright work for companies in the Pornography industry. Because the company was so small, he would have to work on it. (Reviewing 'materials' to see how much was actually copied, etc.) Paul told his coworker he didn't feel good about that and that he had a decision to make.

Paul went back to his office, (which was great and spacious...really though, Paul was impressed with the office he would be calling his own), and was reeling from what he had just learned. (Now you must understand that the past year has been one of the hardest that Paul has ever faced. He has been very busy with school, 2 kids, a pregnant wife, church callings, but mostly, the continual job search that had led him to rejection after rejection. That had not been easy for him, but now, he had a job...and one he was really happy with. Would he really just have to walk away and continue searching?) On a whim, he checked his email. And there in his inbox was an email from that very morning with a job offer for a clerkship in Provo that he had applied to months before. Needless to say, Paul's first day of work was also his last. I know that the Lord knows us and provides a way for us as we strive to do the things that He would have us do. We are excited to be in Provo for at least another year, to be close to family and of course, enjoy BYU sports!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow, what a blessing

Danielle said...

Wow, I'm glad he found that out on the first day. That would have been a "crazy" job eh? How neat that he was also offered another job back here in good ole' Utah. Not that we ever see each other, or anything, but I feel happy knowing that you are only a half hour away, Sista! :)

Dave and Catherine said...

What a blessing, especially in this economy! Congratulations.

Julia said...

Wow, I'm really glad he didn't have to wait long to find out about it all. Glad you've found a new job though!

George and Caralee said...

I just have to say that I am priviledged to know you and Paul. I think the world of you both and Paul...thank you for showing your integrity and honor. The Lord will always bless you and your family for it. Congrats you two and I can't wait to see you in July!